Our skin starts to age as early as our 20s. As we age, collagen and elastin levels start to decrease, and certain factors can speed up the process; such as lifestyle, diet, hormones and even hereditary factors. Ageing is inevitable, but there are a few things we can do to help slow down the process.
Looking After Your Skin in Your 30s
In your 30s, you may start to notice fine lines appearing, particularly around the eyes and mouth (expression lines), and skin starts to take on a dull appearance as cell growth slows down. Pregnancy hormones can also affect the skin, causing a ‘pregnancy mask’ (hyperpigmentation). Lifestyle choices such as smoking, heavy drinking, and poor diet can also accelerate the ageing process.
- Protect against sun damage. It’s never too early to start using a daily SPF, and if you don’t already, it’s even more important to get into the habit of incorporating this into your daily routine. Using a moisturiser with an added SPF can also be a good way to ensure you’re using it daily.
- Eye care. The eyes are often the first place to show signs of ageing. Add an eye cream to your routine such as Multivitamin Power Firm to protect against free radicals and repair the signs of premature aging.
- Exfoliation. The rate of cell turnover starts to slow down in our 30s. Regular exfoliation helps to shift and prevent a build-up of dulling dead skin cells. Daily Microfoliant is gentle enough for daily use.
- Rethink your moisturiser. The moisturiser you used in your 20s might no longer be moisturising enough as sebum levels start to decline. Look for a moisturiser designed to combat dry skin and reduce the signs of premature ageing.
- Diet. A diet rich in antioxidants helps in the fight against UV ageing caused by free radicals and sun exposure. An excellent source of antioxidants is fruit and vegetables. Adding foods rich in Essential Fatty Acids can help to improve skin elasticity and collagen formation. They can be found in oily fish, nuts, avocados and olive oil.
- Hydrate from within. Drinking at least eight glasses of water a day will help to keep skin cells plump and moisturised from within.
Looking After Your Skin in Your 40s
In your 40s, expression lines deepen, particularly around the eyes (crow's feet) and mouth. Skin starts to lose tone and becomes drier as sebum levels decrease. You might also notice the appearance of age spots (hyperpigmentation) and broken capillaries caused by sun exposure.
- Add a serum to your routine. Serums are designed to be used underneath your daily moisturiser, as they have smaller particles that can penetrate the deeper layers of skin and repair at a much deeper level. Multivitamin Power Serum with Vitamins A, C and E repairs existing damage, boosts elasticity and stimulates collagen synthesis.
- Target hyperpigmentation. Incorporate products into your routine that are specially formulated to target hyperpigmentation, such as the Power Bright TRx range.
- Eye care. Switch to a harder working eye cream such as Multivitamin Power Firm. Botanicals and powerful anti-ageing ingredients combat visible lines and firm the eye area, whilst silicones give skin a smoother appearance.
Looking After Your Skin in Your 50s and Beyond
In your 50s and beyond, hormonal changes brought on by the menopause can cause skin flushing, dryness and a reduction in elastin. Oestrogen levels decline and skin starts to sag. This is most noticeable around the jawline and neck, and the eyes may also appear ‘hooded’.
- Switch to products formulated for mature skin. The Dermalogica AGE Smart range contains scientifically advanced ingredients to combat skin ageing.
- Use targeted treatments. Adding a product such as Extra Firming Booster, designed to work alongside your regular moisturiser, gives an added boost to your skin care.
- Exfoliate. Daily Resurfacer uses a precise dose of leave-on exfoliating treatment. Hydroxy acids and enzymes smooth skin without causing redness and reduce the signs of premature ageing. This can also be used alongside Daily Microfoliant as a nighttime treatment.
- Add a primer. Try Skin Perfect Primer with peptides and SPF to help shield skin from UV and free radical damage. Silicones fill in and smooth away fine lines for a flawless complexion.
- Get your beauty sleep. Not getting adequate sleep not only leaves us looking less than refreshed, but can lead to accelerated skin ageing.
- Consider using a silk pillowcase. Lying in the same position night after night can eventually cause those sleep wrinkles you wake up with to become permanent.
And remember; ageing is a natural part of life. Don't be afraid to laugh and don’t sweat the small stuff. The rest, Dermalogica can take care of!